What ifs

1. What if the parents withdraw their agreement or disengage?

Where parents do not adhere to the case plan or withdraw agreement to the intervention with parental agreement, including their willingness to agree to drug testing, in consultation with the senior team leader:

  • reassess the appropriateness of the intervention and the family’s degree of engagement in addressing the child protection concerns
  • assess the ongoing safety of the child if Child Safety ceases intervention by completing the Safety Assessment and Family Risk Re-evaluation to guide decision-making
  • consider convening a Practice Panel to determine how to best meet the safety, belonging and wellbeing needs of the child
  • if required, consult with OCFOS regarding an application to the Children’s Court for a temporary custody order and/or to determine if there is sufficient evidence for a recommendation to DCPL for a child protection order that most appropriately meets the protection needs. For further information refer to Chapter 3, 2. Decide the type of child protection order, if required or Chapter 3, 9. What if immediate custody is required for a child in need of protection - use of a TCO?.

Any decisions about a change of ongoing intervention type must be approved by the senior team leader and recorded in ICMS.

[ Return to top ]

2. What if new child protection concerns are received?

When child protection concerns are received about a child subject to ongoing intervention, take action to ensure the child's immediate safety and determine the most appropriate response - refer to Chapter 3, 2. What if new child protection concerns are received?

[ Return to top ]

3. What if the actions of the child end the child protection care agreement?

If a child leaves or refuses to return to the out-of-home care placement when subject to a child protection care agreement, take the following action:

  • negotiate with the child to return to the placement, where appropriate
  • consult with the child's parents about options for the child
  • complete a safety assessment to assess the level of safety for the child in their current residence, if they refuse to return to the placement, and take appropriate action to ensure the child's safety - refer to Chapter 2, 2.6 Complete the safety assessment
  • consider whether a person in the current residence, or another person who is kin to the child can be provisionally approved to care for the child - refer to Chapter 8. Regulation of care
  • consider whether a TCO or child protection order is required to ensure the child's safety and meet their protection and care needs
  • where a new placement is being considered for an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander child who is subject to a child protection care agreement or an order which grants custody or guardianship to the chief executive, arrange with the consent of the child and family for an independent person to help facilitate the child and family’s participation in the decision about where and with whom the child will live, refer to 10.1 Decision-making about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children

[ Return to top ]

4. What if there is a change in the individuals residing in the family home?

When a child is deemed to be in need of protection and is the subject of ongoing intervention, the parents must be informed of requirements to notify Child Safety of any change of adults or children who will be residing in the family home - refer to Chapter 3, 10. What if there is a change in the individuals residing in the family home?

[ Return to top ]